Wednesday, November 23, 2011
We are going to be sleeping in Rooms 5 & 4 and doinf lots of fun activities.
We have planned our equipment list, our schedule, our movie and our menu.
Take a look below at all of our planning!
Wednesday, October 5, 2011
It was all very new to Room 5 so we had to learn everything from scratch, right from when you introduce your Mum and Dad and say which school we attend. We have been learning our Mihi this whole term.
Last week we had a brilliant afternoon where we had lots of our parents come and hear us recite our mihi. It was great! Today we got to perform once again, this time for our Room 8 tutors from Mellville Intermediate.
You can also read what they wrote about us on their blog here:
Tuesday, August 2, 2011
Friday, July 15, 2011
Thursday, July 14, 2011
Sunday, June 26, 2011
Wednesday, June 22, 2011
We had lots of parents (and even some Grandparents) come and watch us. They all seemed very pleased with us as we all tried really hard! Thank you to all the parents that came to support us :)
Congratulations to our 6 Poem Recital finalists. They will be competing with the 6 finalists from Room 6 for spaces in the full speech competition!!!
Tuesday, June 21, 2011
We made a volcano erupt by using the following ingredients and equipment:
- a volcano shaped mould
- baking soda
- dishwashing liquid
We found that if we put more baking soda the "lava" became very thick and bubbly and it came out of the volcano quicker. Do you know that if you put no baking soda in that the volcano doesn't erupt?!
Janison said that the baking soda made the "lava" rise and pop out of the volcano!
Videoed on Rachel's iPhone by: Awhina
Thursday, May 19, 2011
This week our focus was the Using Language, Symbols and Text part of the K4S.
Since that is such a big area we looked at Literacy specifically and discussed how we work to improve the Language and Text part of the K4S - using our reading and writing skills!
Check out us in action in the video below!
Today we wanted to see if we could change liquids to a foam!
We looked at the very cool ScienceBob's experiment and wanted to try it ourselves!
Check out our video below of the Fantastic Foaming Fountain!
If you want to make the Fantastic Foaming Fountain at home (of course with your parents supervising), you can get the instructions and equipment needed from here: http://www.sciencebob.com/experiments/toothpaste.php
Friday, May 13, 2011
Today we were focusing on the Thinking part of the K4S and our session was all about Making Connections.
These were the activities Rachel set up for us:
- Big Blocks
- Crazy Caterpillar
- Brain Teasers
We got to choose which activities we worked at. We had to keep the K4S of thinking in our head the whole time. We had to think about how we were doing the activity and what else we could do. We got to do as many activities as we liked.
Wednesday, May 11, 2011
Every day Room 5 counts the days we gave been learning at school.
Today was our 60th day!
We are planning to have a party to celebrate our 100th day of learning.
Take a look at the video above of us singing our days of the week song :)
Monday, May 9, 2011
We made some awesome cards on Friday to give to our Mums. We glued lots of cool foam shapes to the outside to make it look cool.
We listened to this song about Mums by Kath Bee.
Our Mums are awesome, just like in the song, our Mums:
- My Mum gives me kisses on the head - Paige
- When I am in bed my Mum tickles me - Hayden
- My Mum tells me to flush the toilet! - James
- My Mum wipes your tears when I fall over - Asharnte
- My Mum makes me some dinner - Jimi
- My Mum makes me milos - Awhina
- My Mum makes me breakfast - Regan
- My Mum gives me lollies - Fynn
- When I was only little, my Mum sewed back on my teddy's ear - Trinity
- My Mum buys me something when I do jobs - Hamish
Friday, May 6, 2011
What a great day today with an extra special visit from Ruben the Road Safety Bear.
He taught us about sneaky driveways, crossing the road carefully and lots more!
~ Hold hands with an adult
Visit Ruben on his own website here: http://www.ruben.govt.nz
Wednesday, May 4, 2011
We have been looking after them for about 4 weeks.
They are getting very big and fat but don't have any legs yet.
We are waiting for them to get legs so they can start changing into frogs!
We have started making some cool frogs for art, and today we watched a few videos that show the life cycle of the frog. They are really cool!
Tuesday, May 3, 2011
We made a special wreath yesterday which Mana and Aleisha presented on behalf of our class.
It was a great assembly that made us really think about all the soldiers that fought to keep our country safe.
Thursday, April 14, 2011
- I have enjoyed using the maths play-doh this term because we get to know how to do our numbers around the right way - Brooke
- I have enjoyed doing reading because I am getting much better - Connor
- I have enjoyed playing with the play-doh because I like making our spelling words with it - Hayden
- I have enjoyed icing and decorating our biscuits for our Friday Treat - Janison
- I have enjoyed playing maths games because I like them, I can get smarter - Hamish
- I like going on Mathletics because I get heaps of credits - Nicole
- I have been on Mathletics, I get to learn more numbers - Nathanael
- I liked learning about fires and being Firewise - Regan
- I liked being the Star of The Day because I get a certificate - Mana
Monday, April 4, 2011
- All of their head & face
- Their neck
- Just the top of their shoulders
Take a look at the slideshow below to see some of the photos we took.
Do you think we achieved our success criteria?
Room 5 Independent Headshot Photos on PhotoPeach
Friday, April 1, 2011
- You shouldn't put your fingers near the lens as it is the 'eye' of the camera
- You can press the 'playback' button if you want to look at your photos
- The zoom button can help you to see something closer up
- There is a button to switch between taking photos and movies on our camera
- We need to put the lanyard around our neck when using the digital camera.
Here are some photos of everything we learned:
Monday, March 28, 2011
We worked with a buddy to make as many Essential List 1 or 2 spelling words as we could using the letter cutters.
Then we read them to our buddy. It was soooo much fun!
Check out our video below:
Wednesday, March 9, 2011
Tuesday, March 8, 2011
The main words are:
be like a turtle,
Under the table,
away from the windows.
under the table,
Wait 'till the shaking stops!
Take a listen on the video below!
Thursday, March 3, 2011
We wrote recounts about our amazing day yesterday celebrating Dr Seuss' Birthday.
Listen to our video to hear Trinity, Regan, Awhina, Ashanti, Asharnte, Aleisha and Fynn read you their stories. Leave us a comment please if you liked our stories :)
Wednesday, March 2, 2011
We celebrated in Room 5 by having a Dr Seuss Day!
We watched Dr Seuss videos (see below), did Cat in the Hat Maths, a Dr Seuss maze, a Cat in the Hat dot to dot activity, a Dr Seuss word find AND did writing and reading too - PHEW!
We also had two special guests read us Dr Seuss books, they were Miss Joplin and Justin Bieber!!!! What a lucky class we are :)
Happy Birthday Dr Seuss!